Banquet Piece, Pieter Claez

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Branch Studies

Oak tree branch and rocks and hills
Whenever I hike in our local parks, I see the scenes that Eyvind Earle painted. (No, silly, not Sleeping Beauty's castle)

His landscape pictures capture the look and feel of the coastal hills of California - coastlines, green or golden rolling oak hills, long shadows of cattle or trees. Many of his pictures have a tree branch in the foreground. I have wondered about those tree branches. 


I have a faded Eyvind Earle Earth Day poster that I can look at closely. It has a conifer branch in the foreground that fades into an abstract fractal branch off in the distance. I don't think I can link to any photos, so check them out in these places: eyvindearle.com and wikipedia. Google "Earth Day poster eyvind earle" to see the poster.
Today, at Sunol Park, I photographed some hanging oak tree branches to study their lines.
This branch headed for the ground, then changed its mind.

The silhouette shows nice lines.

This branch mimicked the rocks below.
These rocks looked like someone had just dropped them there
to arrange at a later date.
Oh, Nature!



This one is really hard to follow.
You couldn't invent this line if you tried!

I like the dangling dead branch.

From the road look at rock in Little Yosemite.
Nice green oak leaves.
Here is another hike, this one is at Augustin Bernal Park in Pleasanton.
Tree branch shadows, tree branches framing trees
at Augustin Bernal Park
Oak galls on branch
Long arch
Tree branch shadows


I have often wondered what inspired Eyvind Earle to place tree branches prominently in his pictures. I suppose if I had a book about him, I could find out. I don't have one, so here's one of my guesses that he might have been inspired by Utagwa Hiroshige's One Hundred Famous Views of Edo. I've linked some of these prints from the Brooklyn Museum website. If I'm wrong, well, all I can say is that I'm inspired by these prints.

from Wikipedia
The Blooming Plum Tree (After Hiroshige)
Vincent Van Gogh, 1887

Years ago, I came across a Disney movie with four Disney artists painting an oak tree (Walt PeregoyJoshua MeadorEyvind EarleMarc Davis). It disappeared from youtube. Then today I just found that it is out there again, called "Disneyland - 4.25 Excerpt - An Adventure in Art". Each artist paints the same oak tree in their style, fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment